back to Teaching Tips Overview
Case-based Teaching | Collaboration and Cooperative Learning
Debates, Role-playing & Simulations | Discussion
Motivation & Engaging Learners | Problem-Based Learning
- Barkley, Elizabeth F., Student
Engagement Techniques: A Handbook
for College Faculty,
- Bean, John C.,
Engaging Ideas: The
Professor's Guide to Integrating
Writing, Critical Thinking, and Active
Learning in the Classroom,
- Silberman, Mel, Active Learning:
101 Strategies to Teach Any Subject,
- Case Writing Guide, PennState Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence
- Case Method of Teaching Science, National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science, University of Buffalo, SUNY
- How to Lead a Case-Based Instruction, Carnegie Mellon
- Teaching Tips for Case Assignments, PennState Teaching and Learning with Technology. Includes examples, strategies for writing cases, and teaching tips.
- The Case Method - A Joint Venture in Learning, themed Issue on Case Studies, Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, (13)2.
Collaboration and Cooperative Learning
- Building Learning Teams: The Key to Harnessing the Power of Small Groups in Higher Education, Center for Teaching and Learning,
- Using Groups in Classes & Encouraging Study Groups, Center for Teaching and Learning, University of California, Berkeley
- Commonly Asked Questions about Teaching Collaborative Activities, PennState Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence
- Cooperative Learning:
Students Working in Small Groups, Stanford University
- Enhancing Learning -and More!- Trough Cooperative Learning, Barbara J. Millis, Idea Paper 38, The Idea Center
- Focusing on Active, Meaningful Learning, Dr. Ann Stalheim-Smith, Idea Paper 34, The Idea Center
- Group Work - Some Things to Keep in Mind, University of Guelph, Canada
- Managing Hot Moments in the Classroom by Lee Warren, Derek Bok Center at Harvard University
- Promoting Active Learning through Group Work, University of Guelph, Canada
- Teaching Large, Division of Instructional Innovation and Assessment, UT Austin
- Team-Based Learning Collaborative, University of Florida
- Working in Groups - Note to Faculty and a Quick Guide for Students, Harvard University
Debates, Role-playing Activities & Simulations
- Active Learning: Creating Excitement in the Classroom, Charles C. Bonwell and James A. Eison. This articles describes what active learning is, how it can be incorporated in classrooms, and what the challenges are of active learning. Provided by Purdue University.
- Active Learning Techniques, Teaching & Resource Center, University of California-Berkeley.
- Classroom Activities for Active Learning, Center for Faculty Excellence, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.
- Doing a Cooperative, Active Learning Debate in a 50 Minute Period, Teaching and Learning Center, University of the Sciences
- Non-Traditional Teaching & Learning Strategies, Teaching and Learning Committee Resources, Montana State University.
- Role-Playing Exercises, Rebecca Teed, Science Education Resource Center, Carlton College.
Motivation and Engaging Learners
- Capturing and Directing the Motivation to Learn, Speaking of Teaching, Stanford University newsletter
- Motivating Students, Center for Teaching and Learning, University of California, Berkeley
- Motivating Students, William E. Chashin, Idea Paper #1, The Idea Center.
- Student Goal Orientation, Motivation, and Learning, Marilla D. Svinicki, Idea Paper 41, The Idea Center
- Twenty Tips on Motivating Students, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Learning Materials in a Problem Based Course, The Higher Education Academy, UK. This is a guide for using problem-based learning, including formats, roles, assessment, and evaluation.
- Problem-Based Learning: An Introduction, National Teaching and Learning Forum
- Teaching Problem-Solving Skills, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- The Jigsaw Classroom, Social Psychology Network
- The Washington Center Casebook, Case stories available for use.
- Free Project Based Learning Resources, 21st Century Educational Technology & Learning.
- Get Started with Project-Based Learning, Microsoft. This artilcle discusses the benefits of project-based learning, why project-based learning should be used in the classroom, what types of project-based learning exist, and how to get started.
- Learner-Centered Instruction Promotes Student Success, The Journal. In this artile, Northface University is used as an example of how project-based learning and other learner-centered instruction has helped students succeed. The article describes multiple forms of project-based and learner-centered types of instruction.
- Motivating Students Through Project-Based Service Learning, The Journal. This article uses California schools as examples to show how project-based learning has motivated students.
- Project Based Learning, PBL-Online. Includes strategies, example projects, instruction to design projects, and reviews.
- Project-Based Learning, Tech & Learning. This article provides tops to implement project-based learning into classrooms.
- Why Teach with Project-Based Learning?, Edutopia. Includes videos about project-based learning and an article on project-based learning in classrooms.
Mentioned relevant books may be available through the CIIA's Lending Library or Wilson Library.