back to Teaching Tips Overview
Course Design and Development
Course Preparation | Course Syllabus | Management of the Classroom
Opening Closing Routines
- Bloom's Taxonomy Blooms Digitally, Andrew Churches, (2008), Educators' eZine, Tech and Learning
- Bloom's Taxonomy of the Cognitive Domain, W. Huitt, (2004), Educational Psychology Interactive, Valdosta State Univ., GA.
- Design and Teach Your Course , Eberly Center of Teaching Excellence, Carnegie Mellon University
- How to Write a Statement of Teaching Philosophy, The Chronicle of Higher Education, 3/27/03
- Integrated Course Design, L. Dee Fink, Idea Paper 42, The Idea Center.
- Model of Learning Objectives, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, Iowa State University
- Preparing or Revising a Course, Barbara Gross Davis, Tools for Teaching (Jossey-Bass; San Francisco, 1993)
- Writing Learning Objectives, University of Texas at Austin
- Grunert O'Brien, J., Mills B.J., &
Approach, Jossey-Bass, 2008
- Nilson, L.B., The Graphic
Syllabus and the
There is no official university policy on what information a course syllabus must contain. The following links are provided to assist faculty in developing a course syllabus.
- Course Syllabus Guidelines (CIIA) Essential components to be included in a syllabus contributed by experienced faculty at WWU, along with information about WWU policies, compiled by the Center for Instructional Innovation and Assessment
- Course Syllabus Requirements (Woodring) Defined by WWU's Woodring College of education for NCATE review (2004)
- Constructing Legally Sound Syllabi,
Faye Hardy-Lucas, Esq., Hampton University General Counsel
- Course Design/Creating A Syllabus, The Center for Teaching and Learning, University of California, Berkeley
- Creative Syllabuses, Jason B. Jones, The Chronicle of Higher Education, (2012)
- Designing a Learning-Centered Syllabus, resource page with examples from the University of Delaware.
- The Purposes of a Syllabus,
Jay Parkes and Mary B. Harris, N. Arizona University
- Student Performance Verbs University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Syllabus, Peer-reviewed publication of course syllabi and other teaching materials, Rhode Island College
- Syllabus Report as designed by MIT CDIO Initiative (includes excellent appendix on Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives)
- What is an Effective Syllabus? Center for Teaching and Learning, University of Minnesota
- Writing a Syllabus, Howard B. Altman and William E. Cashin, Idea Paper 27, The Idea Center
Management of the Classroom
Opening Closing Routines
Mentioned relevant books may be available through the CIIA's Lending Library or Wilson Library.