General Education Resources for Faculty
Welcome to the general education resources site for faculty. Western's new general education requirements will go into effect in Fall 2005. The new requirements were approved in Spring 2004 by the Academic Coordinating Commission (ACC).
This site is meant to assist you with the revision of existing courses or development of new ones that will meet the ACC's criteria under the new requirements. Further resources will be posted as they become available.
Go to the navigation bar on the left to:
- See an overview of the new requirements;
- Review course criteria in First-year Experience, Quantitative & Symbolic Reasoning (QSR), and Second Writing areas;
- Get resources on learning outcomes & assessment for those areas;
- Link to ACC course approval forms;
- See what new courses have already been proposed;
- Get assistance from liasions for new course development.
General Education Academic Competencies and Perspectives
The general education program at Western is designed to develop academic competencies and perspectives that give students the ability to:
- Analyze and communicate ideas effectively in oral, written, and visual forms.
- Analyze and interpret information from varied sources, including print and visual media.
- Use quantitative and scientific reasoning to frame and solve problems.
- Identify and analyze complex problems.
- Apply tools of technology, with an understanding of their uses and limitations.
- Explore, imagine and create.
- Recognize the rights, responsibilities, and privileges of participating in, and contributing as a citizen in, a diverse society.
- Understand and evaluate assumptions, values, and beliefs in context of diverse local, national and global communities.
- Work collaboratively and manage projects to effective completion.
- Reflect on one’s own work and on the ethical dimensions of academic pursuits.
- Understand and assess the impacts of interactions among the individual, society, and the environment.
Make a Suggestion for this Resource
If you have a suggestion or a question about any of these pages, or
if they are not functioning properly for you, please submit a note to
our suggestion box.